What is First Aid and Its Basics?
First aid is a lifesaving service in times of emergency to an injured person. Due to an increasing number of vehicles on the road, the chances of accidents are also more. Anyone can give first aid to any injured person at any place. But make sure the person too willing for it. First aid providers should be well known for it. He/she should have done this before. Follow all the hygienic ways of treatment while giving first aid. Because it is a time of life and death for the victim. So many people don’t know what is first aid and its basics, procedure, etc.
First Aid Kit
It may be a box or kit consists of the following medical items.
- First Aid Manual
- Emergency Phone Numbers
- Antibiotic Cream
- Sterile Gauze Pads
- Breathing Mask
- Tape, Roller Bandages and Band-Aids
- Wipes and Swabs (Antiseptic)
- Ointment and Safety Pins
- Eye Wash
- Disposable Sterile Gloves
Do First Thing, First
Before you give first aid, observe these things first.
1. First of all, stop the excessive bleeding. If not, it can be fatal for the victim.
2. Prevent choking, if the person has a breathing problem. In addition to this, make sure the inhaling and exhaling activity is normal.
3. If there are two persons injured and unconscious. Attend the first unconscious one then injured-person.
4. Before you touch the injured, wear all safety measures. There must be gloves on your hands and a mask on you. Then deal with burns, grazes, cuts, and other injuries.
5. Prevent body movements, if the person has some sort of fractures or strains of joints.
6. If there is an eye injury, handle it with due care. Soon take the injured one to a nearby eye care center.
First Aid Basics
Understand the basics before go-ahead for treatment.
1. Recognize the problem first and plan treatment accordingly. If you think the case is out of reach then call any emergency number (in case of USA call 911, and in India call any of the main numbers.
- National Emergency Number – 112
- Police – 100
- Fire – 101
- Ambulance – 102
- Traffic Police – 1073
2. Never leave the injured person until an appropriate emergency services reach. Keep delivering basic care to the person.
3. Always remember that your first aid kit is ready and consists of all necessary medical materials.
4. Now it is time to give aid. First, tap the person and ask, “Are You Okay?” Observe his/her response. For a while, shout for medical help. Then start giving first aid. Wash hands and wear gloves.
How First Aid is Life Saver?
Something is better than nothing in times of emergency. First aid is a life-saving help to an injured person fighting for life. We know first aid is not final treatment. But before carrying the person to a hospital, it plays the main role. Therefore, we should never hesitate to help needy people. We are socialized human beings and we should help each other.
Note: Always follow traffic rules and keep improving driving skills. Stay away from any type of mishap.
2 thoughts on “What is First Aid and Its Basics?”
I’m planning to open a school for swimming classes this spring, and I want to make sure all of our staff are trained properly when it comes to first aid. It’s good that you elaborated on how first aid can save lives during times of emergency since it helps provide initial treatment. I’ll keep this in mind while I look for a first aid course for my staff to take soon.
Hi Elina Brooks, thank you for visiting Motorbike Driving School